Tuesday, May 3, 2011

For the Love of Fleas!


I'm addicted to flea markets of every shape, size and geographic location ~ I never tire of them. One of my all time favorites is ~ Les Puces de Saint Ouen ~ in Paris.  It's the world's largest flea market and claims that more than 200,000 people attend every weekend.  How cool would it be to have that in your backyard?  Can you spy my three sons in this picture?


This weathered slate is one of the treasures that made the trip home from Paris with me.  It's faded and worn but has withstood the test of time.  There are so many little details about this piece that makes it special ~ like the washed out lettering.  It's only gotten better with age and gives the slate so much charm.


I love its twisted wire ~ I imagine it must have hung from a nail at some point in time.


Someone gingerly repaired the frame on this old slate.  A little piece of metal with some teeny, tiny nails were used to mend its brokenness.


It rests nicely on this aged piece of marble that I use as a wall shelf.  Thanks to all the rain we've had lately the daylilies are blooming beautifully in my yard.  


Another favorite of mine ~ the petite ironstone pitcher rescued from yet another flea market.  I picked up the little apothecary bottle at the the Paris flea too.  Its original stopper is missing so a wine cork kindly stands in as a substitute.  

One thing for certain ~ I'm in love with fleas ~ can you tell?  I'm headed to the Brimfield Antique Show in Massachusetts next week ~ it's said to be the countries largest outdoor flea market ~ I can hardly wait.  This will be my first time to attend and I'm beyond excited.  I'm anxious to share photos of all the flea's goodness ~ I'll be tweeting and posting on FB as well.



2 comments :

  1. I'm so excited that you're going to Brimfield! I can't wait to hear about every detail! I have to admit I'm a bit envious...ok...a LOT envious! Hope we can go doing some flea-ing together soon! XO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well ~ we'll just have to plan another trip up to Brimfield so you and I can go together! How fun would that be? Until then, we can go flea-ing around here ~ smile. XO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...